Health Care in California
The National Immigration Law Center, the California Immigrant Policy Center, and the ACLU of San Diego and Imperial Counties present “Health Care Reform and Immigration Status in California.” This webinar will cover how the Affordable Care Act impacts immigrants and migrants in California and legislation that could further increase eligibility for coverage.
This webinar will took place on on May 13, 2014. To view the recording, click here.
The presentation will describe:
- Basics of the Affordable Care Act, including Medi-Cal expansion, Covered California, the individual mandate, and special enrollment periods.
- Eligibility for Medi-Cal and Covered California, as well as applicability of the individual mandate, based on immigration status.
- Challenges of enrollment for immigrant families, including fear of negative immigration consequences.
- Senator Lara’s Health for All Act (SB 1005), which would provide coverage options for undocumented Californians, and how you can get involved.
- Gabrielle Lessard, Health Policy Attorney, National Immigration Law Center
- Kellen Russoniello, Staff Attorney – Health and Drug Policy, ACLU of San Diego and Imperial Counties
- Betzabel Estudillo, Health Policy Coordinator, California Immigrant Policy Center