Challenge to Alabama’s HB 56
Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama, et al. v. Bentley, et al.
The settlement agreement in this case—the dismissal order and stipulated permanent injunction issued by the federal district court on Nov. 25, 2013, as well as the joint report on case status and the proposed final judgment filed with the court on Oct. 29, 2013—is available here.
Briefs, Memos, and Orders Filed with/Issued by the U.S. Supreme Court (Alabama v. United States), Case No. 12-884 (from latest to earliest):
- Denial of Petition for a Writ of Certiorari (April 29, 2013, PDF) (or see the Court’s order list for Apr. 29, 2013)
- Petition for a Writ of Certiorari (on HB 56 harboring issue, filed by Alabama on Jan. 15, 2013, PDF)
Briefs, Memos, and Orders Filed with/Issued by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, Case No. 11-14535 (from latest to earliest):
- Plaintiffs-Appellants/Cross-Appellees’ Supplemental Brief (filed by civil rights coalition on July 6, 2012, PDF)
- Supplemental Brief for Appellees/Cross-Appellants on Arizona v. United States and HB658(filed by Alabama on July 6, 2012, PDF)
- Order expanding the Oct. 14, 2011, order and enjoining the State of Alabama’s enforcement of Sections 27 and 30 of HB 56, Cases No. 11-14535-CC and 11-14532-CC (filed Mar. 8, 2012, PDF)
- Order Granting in Part and Denying in Part the Motions for Injunctions Pending Appeal, Cases No. 11-14535-CC and 11-14532-CC (filed Oct. 14, 2011, PDF)
- Motion for Preliminary Injunction Pending Appeal and for Expedited Appeal, Case No. 11-14535 (filed Oct. 7, 2011)
Briefs, Memos, and Orders Filed with/Issued by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama, Case No. 5:11-CV-02151-SLB (from latest to earliest):
- Dismissal Order and Stipulated Permanent Injunction (filed 11/25/13).
- Joint Report Regarding Case Status and Disposition and [Proposed] Final Judgment (filed 10/29/13).
- Order on Emergency Motion to Enjoin Portions of HB 56 Pending Appeal (filed 10/5/11, PDF). “[P]laintiffs’ Emergency Motion to Enjoin Portions of H.B. 56 Pending Appeal, (doc. 140), is DENIED.”
- Plaintiffs’ Notice of Supplemental Evidence Re: Emergency Motion to Enjoin Portions of HB 56 Pending Appeal (filed 10/2/11) and Exhibits (PDFs): One | Two | Three | Four | Five |Six
- Emergency Motion to Enjoin Portions of HB 56 Pending Appeal and Memorandum in Support (filed 9/29/11, PDF) and Notice of Interlocutory Appeal by All Plaintiffs (filed 9/29/11).
- Memorandum Opinion, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama (filed 9/28/11, PDF).
- Temporary Injunction of HB 56 (Filed 8/29/11, PDF). “The court having discussed with counsel its concerns regarding the limited time available to adequately address the numerous challenges to Act 2011-535 [H.B. 56] by the effective date, it is hereby ORDERED that [it] is TEMPORARILY ENJOINED, and may not be executed or enforced. In entering this order the court specifically notes that it is in no way addressing the merits of the motions.” (Emphasis in original)
- Motion for and Memorandum in Support of Preliminary Injunction (Filed 7/21/11)
- Class Action Complaint for Declaratory and Injunctive Relief (Filed 7/8/11)
Information sheets about the federal district court’s decision of Sept. 28, 2011.
- Appeals Court Decision: Alabama’s Immigration Law, HB 56 (2-pg. information sheet, PDF, last updated 3/12/12)
- Decisión de la Corte: Ley de Inmigración de Alabama HB 56 (2 páginas, PDF, revisado 12 marzo 2012)