Consumer Alert for Immigrants Filing Taxes

Important Information for Immigrants Filing Taxes!

MARCH 2015 | Versión en español

You are NOT required to pay the tax penalty for being uninsured if your immigration status makes you ineligible to buy health insurance through the Obamacare marketplaces.

If you have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) or are undocumented, you are not eligible to buy insurance through the Obamacare marketplaces, such as Covered California and You are also EXEMPT from the requirement to pay the tax penalty for being uninsured, even if you have a Social Security number.

Claim the exemption when you file your taxes. Attach Form 8965 to Form 1040, or to Form 1040A, or to Form 1040EZ. Enter exemption code “C” for “citizens living abroad and certain noncitizens” in Column C of Part III. Column B of Part III asks for a Social Security number. As explained in theinstructions, people who have an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) should enter their ITIN in that column; people who have neither an ITIN nor a Social Security number should leave that column blank.

If you have already filed your taxes and paid the penalty, you can file an amended return to claim the exemption and ask for a refund.

For more information from the IRS, click here.