DACA: Frequently Asked Questions
DHS JULY 2020 MEMORANDUM
National Immigration Law Center and Immigrant Legal Resource Center
While the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision of June 18, 2020, should have completely restored the availability of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), a memorandum issued on July 28, 2020, by the Trump administration’s U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has once again thrown the program and DACA recipients into limbo.
Issued over a month after the Supreme Court issued its decision, the new memo’s provisions place further limits on the availability of DACA rather than making it available to more people. To help orient the community, this FAQ provides responses to some frequently asked questions that have emerged since DHS released the memo.
Note that this resource is not meant to serve as legal advice. Anyone who wants to understand how the July 28 memo impacts them personally should speak with a trusted legal service provider.
This FAQ provides responses to the following questions:
- What is DACA?
- What is the status of DACA today?
- What did the U.S. Supreme Court decide?
- What did the July 28, 2020, memorandum change?
- Can I apply for DACA for the first time?
- If I currently have DACA, can I still renew? When should I file for renewal?
- Can I apply for advance parole?
- If I recently submitted a DACA renewal, does the July 2020 memorandum affect my DACA grant?
- What will happen if I submitted a first-time application for DACA before this announcement?
- What will happen if I submitted an application for advance parole before this announcement?
- What should I consider before I apply for DACA?
- Will USCIS use my information, even if my request was rejected?
- Will DACA be terminated?
- Who can help me complete a DACA application or give me some advice on my case?
- What are some demands people can make to lawmakers to protect immigrant communities?
To download the FAQ, click on the PDF icon, above.
(The PDF will be downloaded from the Immigrant Legal Resource Center’s website.)