Fifth Circuit Decision in Texas v. U.S.
On Nov. 9, 2015, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals finally issued a decision in Texas v. U.S., the case that put President Obama’s DAPA and expanded DACA initiatives on hold. The court says that it will not reverse the Texas federal district court decision that blocks the DAPA and expanded DACA initiatives from going forward.
This means DAPA and expanded DACA continue to be blocked.
NILC, along with immigrant communities across the country, have been waiting anxiously for the Fifth Circuit to issue a decision. Now we call on the U.S. Justice Department to appeal the case to the U.S. Supreme Court immediately.
On Tuesday, November 10, NILC hosted a conference call to talk about:
- next steps in the legal case
- the timeline to get the case before the Supreme Court
- activities planned for Friday, November 20, the one-year anniversary of the president’s announcement of the DAPA and expanded DACA initiatives
- Marielena Hincapié, NILC Executive Director
- Shiu-Ming Cheer, NILC Immigration Attorney
- Nicholas Espiritu, NILC Staff Attorney
- Nora Preciado, NILC Staff Attorney
- Julieta Garibay, deputy advocacy director, United We Dream
- Eddie Cormona, campaign manager of the Campaign for Citizenship, PICO
You can watch the webinar here.
A PDF of the slide presentation can be downloaded here.